Sunday 27 March 2011

From Michaela Pinkney


My dearest Estelle

Never in my thoughts did I ever imagine I would be doing this today. I am absolutely heartbroken that you are no longer with us.


Estelle you know I have always loved and cared for you as a sister.


I feel so blessed to have known you since the day you were born. Our parents were close friends which meant that we got to grow up together. We have so many precious memories throughout our 32 years of friendship that I will now cherish forever.


I remember when we were young girls, the first night we had a sleepover at my house. Our families had been at the beach that day and we both begged our parents for more time together. In the end they gave in and we were so excited. From then on, sleepovers were a regular occurrence with our parents taking turns of driving us all over town to see each other. In our late teens Liz and I would drive out west to pick Estelle up on a Friday afternoon and we’d take off on our road trips belting out our favourite solid gold classics such as ‘California Dreaming’, ‘The Rose’ and ‘Father and Son’ to name a few.


Estelle always kept me updated on her family’s lives and well being. She is an extremely proud aunty and would excitedly share the news when Melissa and Hayley were pregnant. She would send photos of Isla, Flynn and Riley and she was very much looking forward to the arrival of Hayley and Rhys’ second baby girl.


I spoke to Estelle the week before the earthquake. Jacob and Estelle’s life plans were falling into place. They had sold their house, bought a section and were about to start building a beautiful family home together. Babies were on the cards for this year. She told me she’d had an amazing holiday with Jacob, Hayley, Melissa and the family. It was clear to me that she was completely happy with her life.


Estelle is a beautiful person, very strong, caring, generous, committed, kind, and intelligent, she showed maturity beyond her years. She always knew her mind, was level headed, and I can honestly say she is one of the funniest people I know and you were guaranteed a very hearty laugh whenever Estelle was around.


Estelle you are a true friend. One that I have trusted to tell anything and everything to. You know some of my secrets that perhaps no one else will ever know. You have made a huge impact on my life, and the lives of my family, and I know that you have helped to define the person that I am today.


I am left in so much pain and turmoil. I know that my world is a much lesser place without you.


But my words don't even begin to convey the deep sadness and heartbreak that I am feeling for you. Your life has been taken away too soon. Losing you is a tragedy and one of lives cruellest blows.


You will be deeply missed by so many.


I am proud to call you my friend.


Estelle, I love you

No comments:

Post a Comment